Mold is something you expect to find in the basement or bathroom. Mold growth is actually possible in any area prone to moisture buildup. It’s also common in the fireplace where it can accumulate for years without being detected. If you wouldn’t tolerate mold in any other part of your home, then you shouldn’t put up with fireplace mold either.
What Causes Mold in the Fireplace?
It’s not uncommon for fireplaces to go for more than half a year without being used. The chimney remains poorly lit and poorly ventilated during these periods of inactivity. Moisture can also accumulate in the interior because of the lack of a chimney cap or because the masonry is not waterproof. These elements together provide the perfect staging ground for mold to appear and rapidly multiply.
Symptoms of Mold Growth
Mold may appear on the chimney exterior. More often, though, growth occurs in the interior where it’s almost impossible to spot without a professional chimney cleaning.
Of course, mold is known for causing respiratory illness. If you or other occupants have been coughing or wheezing, then there might be mold growth somewhere in the home. Don’t think that fireplace mold affects your health any less because it’s out of sight. Continue Reading →